Friday, December 7, 2012

10 Months!!

Yesterday marked 10 months with Johnny and tomorrow marks 10 with Lily. It's been amazing watching all their "firsts" with us! 



First day of school (yes his hair was still wet for my pics!)







Lily Anna's first day of Pre-school





First time playing in leaves. Fall is my absolute favorite season!!





I loooooove this picture!!!! Look at those faces!!





First Halloween





First Thanksgiving (they decided they like chicken more than turkey!)





This isn't a first...I just love their outfits, ha ha. Blurry pic but, wow, these 
kiddos should model for Gap!!




And decorating their first Christmas tree.



While I am the sentimental type, I also love the comical things that happen with these firsts. Here are a few:

One day Johnny asked me when Christmas was and I replied, "It's right around the corner, Johnny." He got an excited look on his face and ran around the corner to look and then got confused and said, "Where?" I laughed so hard and had to explain that "around the corner" doesn't literally mean "around the corner!"

A few weeks ago we were decorating the outside of the house. My hubby was on the roof hanging a wreath on the house when Johnny yelled up at him in a very matter-of-fact voice, "Don't fall down and die, Baba."

Not to mention with all these firsts, I have to explain why we do what we do. Do you realize how stupid us Americans look to this 6 year old Chinese boy? I remember thinking, "This boy thinks we're nuts!" Here are some examples of what I've tried to explain to him:

"Johnny, Halloween is coming up. We have to pick out your costume!"
"What's Halloween?"
"It's a day where everyone dresses up in a costume. You can dress up like a super-hero!"
"Why you do that?"
"Umm...I don't know."
"Everybody does it?"
"Yes."
"Why? Who told everyone to do it? Why you all do that?"
"Umm...I really don't know. It's for fun. We do that in America, Johnny. We get dressed up like weird things on one day of the year for no reason what-so-ever." 

And Christmas:
"Johnny, it's time to set up the tree for Christmas!"
"Where you get the tree?"
"Well, some people get a real one from outside."
"What??? Why you do that??"
"Well, we bring it in and decorate it with lights and then put presents under it."
"What?? Why you do that?? Why you bring in a tree? Tree goes outside!! Just leave it outside. Why you bring a tree in your house?? That's yucky. Why you stick lights on it??"
"Ummm...for fun. But you're going to get presents. I wrap them and put them under the tree."
"What??? Why you do that??? Why you buy a toy and wrap it up? That makes no sense!"

The next time he says, "Why you do that?" I'm going to reply, "Because we're morons, Johnny. Americans are morons. We do things for no reason at all and we have too much time on our hands." I'm sure that answer will satisfy him because I know that's what he's thinking anyway! :)

Hope you all have a blessed Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment