Saturday, April 6, 2013

Wrapping Up My Photography Class

I have learned so much in twelve short weeks. I finally know how to take pictures in the manual setting...something that seemed impossible, and was completely overwhelming to think about three months ago.

I have wanted to take this class for two years now...ever since I stumbled on the blog of a woman who had just returned from China with her little girl. I was amazed at her pictures and had noticed a definite progress in the level of pics she took. 

She was just like you and me: a mom, she already had a job, but she wanted to take better pictures of her children so she took a class. And that's it, she began to improve, and now passes on what she has learned. 

Her blog is called The Long Road To China. It's on the sidebar of my blog. 

I figured, if she can do it, then I can at least try to do it!!

The one thing that stands out to me right now with my pics, is that when I get them on the computer, full-blown, I critique them and say to myself, "Hmmm...not enough light...shouldn't have centered that dead on, etc." This is all very good for me! It helps me see where I can improve for the next pic! And it has given me something creative to do while I'm compiling my dossier.


I've learned how to do sun flares/starbursts:




I've had to take self-portraits:




I've learned how to do silhouettes:




And I've learned how to take better pics of my children, including ones who just went to Kindergarten Round-Up...Agh!!!!



She did great...marched off into her room with her teacher and didn't want to leave when it was over! She has come a loooooong way in one year! One year ago I could not even go into the bathroom without her having a melt-down. 

So, I've learned a lot in these photography classes...and now I get to show the real budding photographer all that I've learned...she's a natural and just has an eye for it. I will begin teaching her the twelve week course I just went through...

Yes, it's my 11 year old, Brianna.

It's one of the reasons I even took this class...to pass on what I learn, to her.
She took these pics last year, when she was 10, used a cheapy camera, and already figured out the starburst, time the camera to take self-portraits (I still don't know how to do that), and just naturally takes creative shots.






Because I'm in love with my Canon and despise my Nikon, I will be passing on my Nikon to her. (She seems to like it for some reason). 

This week I am believing for my I800a approval...I gotta get that dossier to China!!! I'm sick of looking at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment