Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Joys of Homeschooling

Ah, the joys of homeschooling...we began two weeks ago as we will be in China for part of this year.  Today I was reading a science book to my children when one of them interrupted with a question.  I thought, "How wonderful, my children are actually participating in what I'm reading and now we will have a discussion about science."  But instead the question began, "Mom, do you remember on Phineas and Ferb...ok, Mom, this is so funny...blah, blah, blah..."  As my children now both chime in on the antics of these two cartoon characters my mind drifts to another place...public school...I think to myself, "Is it too late to enroll them so I can have my sanity back?  Would my children bother their public school teacher with a question about Phineas and Ferb?"  Then my mind drifts again as Brianna is so distracted that she begins doing cartwheels in the living room, and I remember the days of my children being in public school.  I did what I wanted!  I went to lunch on Fridays with my husband!  My house was clean!  I didn't have children having pillow fights during their spelling test!  And then my mind drifts again to a younger version of me holding my four month old son in a jewelry store and the lady behind the counter telling me to hold my son for as long as I can.  She said words that haunt me to this day, "My son is fourteen now.  There was a day, and I can't remember when, but it was the last time he ever sat on my lap, and that time is gone now."  So today, I remember...this too shall pass...let the pillow fights begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment