Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Feel Like Death Warmed Over

Lovely title, isn't it? Not a very good confession from a Christian's mouth, but I'm dripping with sarcasm today, so there it is.

Would you like to know how to make jet-lag worse than the worst case scenario? On day two home, have one of your newly adopted kiddos get the flu and barf all over everything. 

Yes, Le Hai got sick. And it got ugly. Poor thing. My poor couch...and floor...and Brianna's bed...and my pajamas...what else did he projectile on? 

In a way, I'm glad he threw up. I couldn't figure out what was going on. He wasn't himself, so tired and wouldn't eat. I thought maybe it was serious jet-lag. He wouldn't eat all day yesterday, then last night my hubby went to move him and that was it, he threw up. We got him cleaned up and got him in bed. Xi Yi is so active, she kept poking and prodding him.

We finally fell asleep, Xi Yi had her normal five minute melt-down about an hour after falling asleep, then Le Hai woke up and asked for water. Great! I thought, this is wonderful, he's feeling better. Yep, I'm a moron. I cannot believe I didn't remember to do the ice chip thing, or start out with a tiny sip. Nope, he drank a big swig of water and because I'm so beyond-out-of-it-tired, when he asked for another sip of water, I honestly thought it was about an hour later. I fell back asleep and he asked for another sip of water...I thought another hour had passed. Nope, I figured out later after he puked this was all within about 30 minutes that he downed the whole bottle. I will spare the details, but like I mentioned above, he hit everything. I was so scared he was dehydrated, so I just took ice cubes and had him suck on them, which he got a kick out of.

He's feeling much better and playing, eating and all. 

But once again, no sleep for me. 

Tonight I'm believing for a really great night of sleep. I know other adoptive parents don't believe me when I say I'm not dealing with jet lag. I'm not. Is it a crime to say that in the adoption world??? I'm just dealing with interrupted sleep by bizarre things like being barfed on in the middle of the night...waking up to my new daughter kicking all the covers off me, or crawling out of bed to play.

 Sigh.

Pray that we all get a good night of sleep tonight!!!!

Thanks all!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry for the sickness. The kids are so adorable, all of them. I enjoyed your trip, following your journey. Thanks for detailing. PS: I didn't suffer from jet lag on 2 of our trips.

    ReplyDelete