Monday, February 20, 2012

We're Home!!

God bless America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh. my. word.

I wanted to kiss the ground the minute I landed on U.S. soil. I'll save that for another post.

We got home at about 11:00 pm Saturday night. I was really, REALLY scared bringing the little ones into our home. I just did not know how they would behave, or if they would be respectful of the furniture, etc. They walked in and looked around. Le Hai had a smile on his face, and then he did something I don't think I'll ever forget. He walked into the living room and looked at the thick carpet and got this "wow" look on his face. He was smiling ear to ear and he got down on the floor and started to touch the carpet. I started crying. It's carpet and he acted like he had just seen the coolest invention ever.

We let the kids play Legos for a little bit and then I got them ready for bed. The next day was Sunday and I didn't care how exhausted we all would be; we were going to the house of God together. After all, it was Him who gave me these kiddos, right? 

We really haven't had to deal with horrible jet-lag so far. We all went out to eat after church with a bunch of people and just chilled at home in the evening. We all went to bed on time and things seem to be going fairly well...except for one thing...

I'm not sleeping. 

At all.

I get about 2 hours of sleep and then Xi Yi wakes up crying...and that's it; I'm up. She calms down, goes back to sleep and my eyes are staring at the ceiling. It's been this way the entire time we were in China as well. I really don't know how I'm functioning at this point.

To be honest, here's what happens when I am asleep or about to fall asleep. I drift into La La land, and I'm immediately "dreaming" I'm in China, filling out paperwork, getting in a van, meeting adoption workers, going up the escalator. I literally have to open my eyes to get rid of the people and scene that I'm in while I'm asleep. So even when I am asleep, my mind is going, going, going.
Have you ever had to drive all day to go somewhere and you get to your hotel room and go to bed...you close your eyes to go to sleep and what do you see? The road. That's exactly like what it's like for me. I close my eyes and I'm in the process again. 

I kid you not when I tell you I think I've been traumatized by the process while we were in China. It's cruel and I disagree with it with all my heart. Who in the world thought it would be hilarious to take new parents, sleep deprive them and then make them fill out more forms, all the while carrying a 500 lb toddler and trying to hold the hand of a 5 year old who thinks it's funny to run off.  I do NOT know what we would have done without Josiah and Brianna there, but again, this is all for another post. I'll just say, now that I've been through the process beginning to end, I disagree with almost all of it. I think it's sick and twisted. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best scenario for sleep. Xi Yi is 4 but actually acts about 2 1/2. I'm considering putting her in a crib to help me get some sleep. Right now to transition Le Hai and her to sleeping in our house, I'm sleeping with them in Brianna's bed. I thought co-sleeping would be good but I just don't know anymore. Le Hai seems to be doing ok, but Xi Yi wakes up 2-3 times crying and kicking covers off. I've googled night terrors and it doesn't really fit the description. I think Le Hai would be fine sleeping with Brianna for awhile, but I'm at a loss for Xi Yi. I might try setting up the kids' old crib in our room and see if that works. I don't know. I just know I need sleep!!!!

Concerning their adjustments:  Xi Yi is doing fairly well. She has a strong personality and throws tantrums, which drives me bananas, but that's about it. The thing that I'm dealing with right now with her is she wants to go to the bathroom all the time. Someone mentioned she might be constipated and I think that's the case. So, time for pear juice. Yippie.

Le Hai is testing boundaries. What's hard is we adopted him on a Monday, and he was SOOOO sweet and compliant. Not one issue. Then on Wednesday we received Xi Yi. That's when the testing of boundaries began. And Xi Yi came to us sick, so she was seriously high-maintenance for about 5 days, which allowed Le Hai to bond with everyone else well, and allowed Xi Yi to bond with me. It worked, and was fine. He would have tested boundaries regardless of her coming along; he just has a light-hearted personality and thinks it's funny. 

The biggest obstacle right now is the language barrier. I'm going to look up the word "danger" today in Mandarin because Le Hai watched me cook and then wanted to turn on the burners. Don't worry anyone, these kiddos are not out of our sight for 2 seconds so Le Hai will not be cooking without my knowledge!!

And lastly; their English names...I still call them by their Chinese names as it just is taking some getting used to for all of us to switch over.

Xi Yi's new name is Lily Anna.
Le Hai's new name is Johnny. 

He was named after my husband's Grandfather. And actually it is his Grandfather's nickname. I just always love to hear his Grandma say, "Johnny, do you remember the name of so and so...or Johnny, do you want something to eat?" 

We will keep their Chinese names as their middle names.  

Other than that, it is now officially Monday and I intend on staying home today and just enjoying all four of my children!! I will post some pictures of us all at home when I come out of my sleep deprived coma. 

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you are home safely and that you can now begin the real work of forming a larger family. Thank you for allowing us to come along with you on this incredible God-adventure! Angie

    ReplyDelete